Friday, July 02, 2010

Responsibilities


Imagine:
You are tired of living.
You go to a train station and stand in front of the platform.
You see the message above.

I guess the determination to jump would increase significantly, no?
It's sad enough if I am actually desperate enough to want to commit suicide, and you actually try to use the reason of "responsibility" to stop me from doing it.
It hints that a life at stake is not the main reason for trying to dissuade me from jumping, it's the "responsiblity", i.e. the trouble and hassle I would cause if I had jumped.
"To save everyone from such inconveniences, why don't you not jump?"
Humanity is at a real low if in a life and death situation, the best one could come up with is "act responsibly".
I guess the reason many people actually thought of commiting suicide would be to escape from such suffocating social responsibilities.
We're brought up to be "responsible", to our parents, to our teachers, to society. Therefore, we are used to try not to be a nuisance to others, do not inconvenience others, take care of ourselves, be responsible.
So one fine day we walk up to the platform and look at the signboard.
We realise, sadly, the only way to be responsible to ourselves is to end it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i so agree with u on this. tt's wad always comes up to my mind when i look at that stupid sign. haha

~min